Paychex Recognized for the Third Year Running for Promoting Healthy Workplaces
For the third year in a row, Paychex, Inc., a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses, was honored by the National Business Group on Health for its commitment and dedication to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging employees to support and maintain healthy lifestyles.
Paychex was among 48 employers that received the 2011 “Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles” award at the Leadership Summit sponsored by the National Business Group on Health’s Institute on Innovation in Workforce Well-being. Paychex received a Gold Award for its comprehensive wellness initiative, which fosters all the dimensions of good health while supporting and rewarding employees for making a healthy lifestyle a priority.
“Creating a healthy workforce is important for Paychex on a number of levels,” said Laurie Zaucha, Paychex vice president of human resources and organizational development. “Not only are healthy lifestyles necessary to help control rising health care costs for everyone, but we know that healthy employees are more engaged employees. Our wellness program is one of the things that help Paychex be a great place to work, and gives employees a way to get healthier in a fun, supportive, and rewarding way while connecting with their co-workers.”
While various wellness initiatives have been in place at Paychex for more than 10 years, the company adopted a more structured program, Active Health, in 2008 for its 12,000+ employees. Approximately 93% of Paychex’s employees participate in the program. Features of the Paychex wellness initiative include:
- tying Active Health participation to access to the best medical coverage
- onsite health screenings offered at no cost to employees
- an eight-week, team-based physical activity and nutrition program that nearly 5,000 employees nationwide participate in
- online health improvement programs
- a best-in-class tobacco cessation program
- comprehensive stress management and work/life balance programs
- healthy dining at company cafeterias
- unlimited access to health coaching for both at-risk and healthy employees
- routine preventive medical care at no cost to employees and their dependents
- volunteer wellness champions at each of the company’s 100+ locations, who coordinate wellness events at the branch level
- cash rewards of up to $300 for points earned by completing wellness activities such as fun runs, bicycling to work, yoga and other exercise classes, sports programs, and being up-to-date with preventive health care
- annual company participation in events such as the JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge, where 205 Rochester employees this year were treated to free Paychex-themed, moisture-wicking race shirts and post-race hospitality
Helen Darling, president and CEO of the National Business Group on Health, said,
“We are very pleased to honor Paychex for its ongoing commitment to providing lifestyle improvement programs that encourage healthier lifestyles for their employees. Paychex and its management team should take pride in understanding the importance of promoting and maintaining a healthy workforce. We congratulate them on receiving this award.”
Gold-level winners of the Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles awards were honored for creating cultural and environmental changes that support employees who are committed to long-term behavior changes.
Paychex, Inc. (NASDAQ:PAYX) is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing, payroll tax administration, and employee pay services, including direct deposit, check signing, and Readychex®. Human resource services include 401(k) plan recordkeeping, section 125 plans, a professional employer organization, time and attendance solutions, and other administrative services for business. A variety of business insurance products, including group health and workers' compensation, are made available through Paychex Insurance Agency, Inc. Paychex was founded in 1971. With headquarters in Rochester, New York, the company has more than 100 offices serving approximately 536,000 payroll clients nationwide as of May 31, 2010. For more information about Paychex and our products, visit www.paychex.com.
About the National Business Group on Health
The National Business Group on Health is the nation’s only non-profit organization of large employers devoted exclusively to finding innovative and forward-thinking solutions to their most important health care and related benefits issues and to being the voice for large employers on national health care issues. The Business Group, whose 325 members include 66 of the Fortune 100, identifies, develops and shares best practices in health benefits, disability, health and productivity, related paid time off and work/life balance issues. Business Group members provide health coverage for more than 55 million U.S. workers, retirees, and their families. For more information, visit www.businessgrouphealth.org.
Corporate Communications Manager